<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d14033373\x26blogName\x3dBuzzurro\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLUE\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://buzzurro.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://buzzurro.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-2693752525456072404', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Monday, September 05, 2005

These Annoying Telemarketers

Several times telemarketers have called me, trying to sell me some phone or internet service that I do not need. I , not being a native Italian have an accent and when I say 'No capische l'italiano' (a grammatically incorrect way of saying that I don't understand Italian), everyone believe me and leaves me alone.
I have tried using this tactic on the streets and have learned that English is widely spoken so I 'change' my nationality to one who language is definitely not spoken widely. (This month I'm using Lithuanian). Don't get me wrong, I am proud to be an American, but sometimes one likes to walk down the street without having every beggar and solicitor in sight asking you for money because they think you are a 'rich American'.
Italians are not used to foreign accents. If you read the papers you would think that Italy is overrun by foreigners, but in reality the percentage of foreign-born Italians in Italy is very low.

It is a good thing for me, otherwise someone would recognize my accent for what it is.


Category: